The past seven days

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

[REC] 3: Genesis - Review

[REC] 3: Genesis follows a couple on their wedding day as they witness pandemonium and terror when a zombie outbreak infiltrates the wedding and infects their guests.


I will admit that I am a fan of [REC] and [REC] 2. I also did enjoy Quarantine a lot. Hell, I even enjoyed Quarantine 2 for what it was worth. I had added [REC] 3 to my Netflix months ago and was waiting for it to become available so when it did I got all excited. Let me tell you... this movie was a hot mess from start to finish.

First of all, I will admit that I liked how they began the movie. It starts as a wedding DVD and shows some footage of the church and the guests before the bride arrives. It is in the same found footage style the first two movies were in and that is what I was expecting anyway. There are two cameramen filming and suddenly shit goes down at the wedding when the groom's uncle, who is a veterinarian, falls off a balcony and starts eating a woman's neck. This starts the zombies and the infection spreads from there. HOWEVER, this was just the film's intro. After the groom and his little group gets separated and hides in the kitchen there is a title screen and then it switches formats completely. It now morphs into a full on scripted, non-documentary style film. From then on characters start dying left and right, the bride and groom are separated at different areas of the reception grounds with different people, and it didn't work one bit.

I have to say that I was enjoying myself for the most part but that doesn't mean it was in a good way. I laughed through a majority of this film as it had nothing to do with the previous two and was in a completely different style. Not to mention the bride and groom were annoying. They kept implying that they were psychic and could feel each other's presence while they were separated. I'm not kidding, there is a scene where the bride is running and suddenly stops to close her eyes and say something like, "he is still alive. I feel him." He would do it with her, too. It was really weird and it didn't work at all. That and they give it the perfect setup for this 4th [REC] movie they are apparently making so never fear. Even foreign film franchises can be ruined.

Overall this was a big disappointment. I expected so much more because the first two were so good. I wouldn't even waste my time watching it if I were you. You aren't missing anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment