The past seven days

Friday, December 21, 2012

Pitch Perfect - Review

Pitch Perfect follows Beca, a college freshman who aspires to be a famous DJ. While trying to find where she belongs during her first year of college she is coerced into an all-girl A Capella singing group and along the way finds what she has been looking for the whole year.


I wanted to see Pitch Perfect in theaters but I never got around to it, so I went ahead and picked up the DVD this week. I want to say that I really enjoyed it for what it's worth. I don't necessarily love musicals but I do love music and with that said, I wouldn't peg Pitch Perfect as a musical. It is a college-based comedy that just so happens to have A Capella singing in it.
If the voices in the movie were really the actors I will admit that I was quite impressed with Anna Kendrick's voice. I would have never guessed it. I also want to mention Rebel Wilson who didn't necessarily have the best voice but it was enough to get the job done. She was hilarious as always. I actually did enjoy the A Capella because they were using current songs and were doing mash-ups of them. In all honesty this movie reminded me of Bring It On only with singing instead of cheerleading. I say that because of the way the script was written. The language like "aca-scuse me?" instead of "excuse me." It reminded me of the classic line in Bring It On, "this is not a democracy, it's a cheerocracy."
With that said the script was what it was. The movie is meant to be a comedy and it did achieve the laughs, at least for me. I wasn't necessarily falling out of my chair laughing but I did laugh a lot. Rebel Wilson, Anna Kendrick's Korean roommate, and the quiet Asian member of the singing group made me laugh the most. The male lead character annoyed me, though. Something about the way he acted just rubbed me the wrong way.

Overall there isn't too much to say about Pitch Perfect. I would recommend it because it is funny. The plot is predictable, as most movies are, but that was to be expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment