The past seven days

Sunday, December 2, 2012

2012 Governors Awards draw in Oscar hopefuls

This weekend was the Governors Awards in Los Angeles. It is an event that gives a lot of foreshadowing to the Academy Award possibilities and gives potential Oscar hopefuls the chance to expose themselves to the press and promote their films.
According to EW there was a general consensus hinting at Best Picture possibilities; those being Life of Pi, Argo, Les Miserables, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, and Silver Linings Playbook. Personally I think those are all possibles just due to the media buzz around them, specifically Life of Pi and Lincoln, but I would like to at least see The Dark Knight Rises on the list. It deserves to be there. I'm going to be pissed if The Hobbit swoops in at the last minute and takes it.

Apart from Best Picture buzz there is a lot of speculation for the actor and actress categories, both lead and supporting. In attendance were Kristen Stewart, Tom Hanks, Bradley Cooper, John Hawkes, Amy Adams, Helen Hunt, and quite a few others who have Award buzz movies out. Stewart and Adams have On the Road, Hanks has Cloud Atlas, Cooper has Silver Linings Playbook, and Hunt and Hawkes have The Sessions. I am still kind of baffled at the fact that Kristen Stewart could potentially be nominated for On the Road, but I still haven't seen the movie so I can't really comment. She should have been nominated in 2010 for Welcome to the Rileys but that's just me. Same goes for Bradley Cooper. I guess I just never figured him for an Oscar nominated actor. That is if he is nominated.


Awards season is starting!

No comments:

Post a Comment