The past seven days

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

World War Z - Review

A former UN investigator is called back into duty as a fast spreading zombie pandemic begins to overrun the human population in World War Z.


I skipped World War Z in theaters because of the disaster it was in the making. The reshoots, delayed release, rewrites, etc.. Not to mention I heard many mixed reviews once it did come out. I heard a majority of people say it was not good to start off with. Then it morphed into people saying if you didn't read Max Brooks' novel you will love it. However, if you did read the book you will hate it. Let me start off by saying I did read the book.
With that said, I did not like this movie and it wasn't just because they seemed to use the book title only. The script was terrible, it was mostly ADR dialogue and it was obvious, the characters had practically no development, the story had very little development, and the zombies were atrocious. It was like the zombies were track stars and stuntmen at the same time. That and the fact that a majority of them were CGI.

As far as the story goes, as I said it was very underdeveloped. They just threw us right into this movie and dragged us along for the ride. The script was badly written and I can't even imagine what the script was like before all the rewrites. I also have a gripe that it was all fairly unrealistic. I don't know if it's just me, but I don't think the United States military would depend on the United Nations to save the human race. They would rely on their own; Army Rangers, Navy Seals, USMC Scouts, etc..
It was all just a stretch. Brad Pitt's character going to Israel and managing to escape on a random airplane and crash landing real close to the World Health organization, and surviving a steel spike wound that stabbed right through his body, was ridiculous. That spike would have ruptured many of his vital organs and killed him, I have no doubt. Plus he was walking around just fine after it was removed like nothing happened.

I can't even continue this review. I hated World War Z so much. The events in the book were not even touched on in the movie. They used the title and the main character and raped the rest of the storyline.

Ugh, what a mess. I'm glad I didn't see this in theaters.





No comments:

Post a Comment