The past seven days

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Man of Steel - Review

Clark Kent is put forced to face the truth of his race and his destiny after ancient members of his race come to find and destroy him on Earth. In an attempt to save the human race from General Zod's genocide, Clark is forced to reveal who he really is to the world in Man of Steel.


I'm going to jump right into this because I don't really have much else to start with. And yes, there are spoilers so beware.

1. It was way too long. They could have cut a half hour out and no one would have known the difference.
2. The whole Lois Lane knowing exactly who Superman was the whole time bugged me.
3. The beginning dragged a lot and despite the drag they didn't really reveal a ton of information. Zack Snyder did what he does best and focused on shots that aren't really relevant just because he can make them look cool.
4. There was a lack of downtime. The amount of constant action was a bit overkill.
5. The sound effects are downright painful. I consider myself an individual with good hearing, but when your ears start hurting and ringing because of the volume and high pitch of the effects there is a problem.
6. Clark got the Superman suit way too fast. Speaking of the suit, I still hate it and the new logo.


Now with that said, I do have to say that despite all that I did like Man of Steel. I enjoyed it a lot more than I was anticipating and I was very shocked. However, I still am not a fan of Zack Snyder. I think his overuse of visual effects and the lack of time management is ridiculous and I have felt that way for years.
I also felt that this movie had the origin but it lacked. They showed Clark being sent to Earth from Krypton and then it hit fast forward 33 years where he was working odd jobs in the Arctic trying to find where he came from. They used flashbacks as the explanation and even then it was really choppy. It's like they dragged on with the part on Krypton and then all of a sudden rushed through to play catch-up and gave him the suit. It's like they just assumed that everyone knows the Superman story. I like to think people do but not everyone. That is just a given and they ignored that.

Like I said, I did like it for the most part. I thought the effects although overused were pretty well done. I also thought the acting far exceeded my expectation. Henry Cavill was awesome and I absolutely loved Kevin Costner, Russell Crowe, and Michael Shannon. All of them were great. The only disappointment I really had was with Amy Adams. She was a terrible Lois Lane and I don't understand why she was cast.
I loved the parts where Clark was in Kansas and where he was searching for the right times to use his powers. I thought that was extremely well done. The only parts that really lacked, for me, was on Krypton and the battle in Metropolis. That just took too damn long.


What did you guys think of Man of Steel? The reception has been so mixed up so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment