The past seven days

Sunday, February 24, 2013

2013 Academy Award Winners!

Nothing too surprising this year, but it was a good show. I have to say because I can admit when I am wrong... Seth MacFarlane was a great host. I hope he hosts again in the future.

Anyway, here are the winners!

* Best Picture:
Argo

* Best Actor:
Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln

* Best Actress:
Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook

* Best Director:
Ang Lee - Life of Pi

* Best Original Screenplay:
Quentin Tarantino - Django Unchained

* Best Adapted Screenplay:
Chris Terrio - Argo

* Best Supporting Actor:
Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained

* Best Supporting Actress:
Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables

* Best Animated Feature:
Brave

* Best Animated Short:
Paperman

* Best Foreign Language Film:
Amour

* Best Cinematography:
Life of Pi

Best Editing:
Argo

* Best Costume Design:
Anna Karenina

* Best Makeup and Hairstyling:
Les Miserables

* Best Sound Mixing:
Les Miserables

* Best Sound Editing (there was a tie):
Skyfall
Zero Dark Thirty

* Best Visual Effects:
Life of Pi

Best Live Action Short Film:
Curfew

Best Production Design:
Lincoln

Best Original Score:
Mychael Danna - Life of Pi

* Best Original Song:
"Skyfall" - Skyfall

Best Documentary Feature:
Searching for Sugar Man

Best Documentary Short:
Inocente 


The categories with the star next to them indicate that my prediction was correct. The only categories that I predicted and missed are Best Original Score and Production Design. All the rest without stars I didn't predict so I didn't technically lose. Alright, I'm done tooting my own horn.
I'm a bit disappointed that Quvenzhane Wallis didn't take Best Actress, but she has many years ahead of her. I'm happy Jennifer Lawrence won and I must say that I like her more after seeing her fall up the stairs while walking to accept her statue. That was awesome. I am also kind of bummed that Hugh Jackman didn't win, but I fully expected Daniel Day-Lewis to take it. We all did.
The main surprise for me was Life of Pi winning Best Original Score. I was sure it was going to go to Argo or Lincoln, so that was one that got everyone.

I loved the overall theme of the show which basically was the tribute to the movie music over the years. We had a reunion (kind of) for Chicago as well as performances from Seth MacFarlane, Channing Tatum, Charlize Theron, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Daniel Radcliffe, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Jennifer Hudson, Adele, Norah Jones, Dame Shirley Bassey, and Barbara Streisand. We also had cameo appearances from Michelle Obama, William Shatner, and Ted. Yes, the star of MacFarlane's stupid teddy bear movie.
As far as presenters went it was fairly ordinary. Jack Nicholson shared the Best Picture announcement with Michelle Obama, Kristen Stewart hobbled onstage looking like she was on drugs, and Paul Rudd and Melissa McCarthy kind of proved they have no comedic chemistry whatsoever. Oh, and Dustin Hoffman grabbed Charlize Theron's ass. I saw it.

Overall the show wasn't bad. I thought some of MacFarlane's jokes went a little far, but anyone who has any common sense knows that was to be expected. I actually thought he was a good host. He was the best one since Hugh Jackman, for me, and was definitely better than Ricky Gervais ever was.
Congrats to Argo and all the winners. To the losers... better luck next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment