The past seven days

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Universal hoping to release Fifty Shades of Grey by 2014

I am shaking my head as I write this...

Universal announced a couple of things. First of all, the big one is they are hoping to release the film adaptation for EL James' novel Fifty Shades of Grey by summer 2014. That puts it a little over a year out from now which means they need to get on casting and production mighty quick. What else does that mean? It will probably suck more than it already was going to because it will be rushed. Universal's chairman Adam Fogelson said they don't feel the need to rush things, though. "It’s conceivable that we could be ready to release it as early as next summer.” I call bullshit. Even mentioning a release date barely a year from the statement is what we call rushing, Mr. Fogelson.
Now... I read the first Fifty Shades book and I don't think I have ever read anything like it. And that isn't really a compliment. I found it disgusting, offensive, and just plain dirty and that is coming from me. I tried reading the second book and stopped about halfway through. I just couldn't read any more. With that said, I don't know how the hell they are going to make these books into movies. I'm surprised they sell these books in airports and have them in libraries. They're smut. Plain and simple.


Other announcements Universal made included comments on possible sequels to Identity Thief and Mama along with a brief update on Snow White and the Huntsman's sequel:

After grossing $85 million at the box office they are feeling pretty confident that they can turn Mama into a franchise. Universal's International President made the comment that they feel confident in the future of the story and that it could turn into more than just one film. However, the film's director feels differently claiming he thinks the story is stretched as far as it can go.  I didn't see Mama so I can't really comment on how good or bad of an idea this is.

Fogelson also commented on the positive future to Identity Thief after it had pretty good success at the box office this month. He thinks they created great characters and wants to re-team Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman for a sequel. I saw Identity Thief and I thought it was pretty funny, but I can understand why so many people didn't like it. I feel like they should stop but the way the movie ended left it open for a sequel, unfortunately.

And it does still seem that Kristen Stewart rekindling with Robert Pattinson was the right decision after all. Fogelson also mentioned that the sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman is indeed in development and it will feature both Stewart and Chris Hemsworth. Initial reports last summer claimed that Stewart had been scrapped from the sequel development because of her infidelity scandal with director Rupert Sanders. "We’re actively developing the movie right now with Kristen’s character central, as well as the Huntsman role." He also went on to mention that he does not believe Rupert Sanders is going to return to direct. Probably a smart move.



No comments:

Post a Comment