The past seven days

Saturday, February 23, 2013

My predictions for the 2013 Academy Awards

I think there are going to be some surprises waiting for us regarding the 85th annual Academy Awards, but for now I am going to share my predictions for how the awards will go this year. I'm not going to predict every category as I have not seen every movie, such as documentary shorts and foreign films, but I will do my best.

Best Picture:
I think Argo is going to take this one. Starting out a lot of people were thinking Lincoln was a sure thing but seeing how unpopular Lincoln has seemed to be at the other award shows I don't think it will take Best Picture. Not unless the Academy is going to surprise us. I personally think Beasts of the Southern Wild or Les Miserables should win but those are both long shots. The only other movie besides Lincoln I can see giving Argo a good run for its money is Silver Linings Playbook.

Best Director:
Seeing that the Academy stiffed Ben Affleck, who has swept this category everywhere else, I don't really know who else to pick. They also stiffed Tom Hooper for Les Miserables. Out of the choices I think it will go to either Ang Lee or Steven Spielberg, leaning more toward Ang Lee. I would like to see Benh Zeitlin win for Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Best Actor:
There is no competition for this category. It should be Hugh Jackman for Les Miserables, but it's going to be Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln.

Best Actress:
This one is tough for me. I would love to see Quevanzhane Wallis win for Beasts of the Southern Wild. She was fantastic and I want her to win badly. However, I would also be happy with Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook. I think Lawrence is probably going to win it.

Best Supporting Actor:
It's going to be either Robert De Niro for Silver Linings Playbook or Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained. Leaning more toward De Niro.

Best Supporting Actress:
Anne Hathaway for Les Miserables. Enough said.

Best Animated Film:
I have no doubt Brave is going to take this one. Pixar almost never loses in this category. I would like to see either ParaNorman or Frankenweenie win this one, but I highly doubt either of those will beat out Brave. They probably won't even beat out Wreck-It Ralph.

Best Cinematography:
It should be Skyfall but it will be Life of Pi.

Best Costume Design:
I would give it to Les Miserables, but I am thinking this one will go to Anna Karenina.

Best Makeup and Hairstyling:
Les Miserables. It could go to The Hobbit, though.

Best Original Score:
I think it should go to Thomas Newman for Skyfall, but it probably will go to Alexandre Desplat for Argo.

Best Original Song:
"Skyfall" by Adele. If it goes to anyone else I am turning the show off.

Best Production Design:
Les Miserables, again, is my pick but it probably is going to Life of Pi or Anna Karenina.

Best Animated Short:
Paperman is my choice and what I think will win. At least it should win.

Best Sound Editing:
The Dark Kn.... oh wait, I forgot. Skyfall.

Best Sound Mixing:
Skyfall or Les Miserables

Best Visual Effects:
This one is no doubt going to Life of Pi. I think it should go to The Avengers or The Hobbit. I'm not a Lord of the Rings fan, but I am smart enough to know Peter Jackson is a wizard when it comes to visual effects.

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Argo or Silver Linings Playbook

Best Original Screenplay:
Hands down should be Moonrise Kingdom, but I am predicting Amour or Django Unchained.


We'll see how my predictions turn out tomorrow night! 




No comments:

Post a Comment