The past seven days

Friday, June 8, 2012

Prometheus - Review

Prometheus follows an exploratory space vessel where two explorers lead a crew in hope to find their creators to unravel the origin of the human race.


I have been excited for Prometheus and I just want to say that I always figured it was an Alien prequel despite Ridley Scott and the actors trying to shoot the rumors down. With that said, Prometheus was very good. The acting was fantastic, the cinematography was great, the visuals were great, and Scott's direction was obviously well done. However... this is yet another exciting, visually driven film with a weak script and poor pacing. I feel like the timing and pacing of the plot was rushed and a lot happened in a very short amount of time. And, of course, it left it open for a sequel 100%. There is no question that there will be a sequel to this movie.
Michael Fassbender plays one damn good robot. His character David really creeped me out but I loved it. I also loved Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. I think that they all gave a good performance and their characters were pretty good.

Overall I would say Prometheus was good and I enjoyed it a lot, but it was seriously stressful. There were a lot of aspects that rose the suspense up to a ridiculous level. At one point my hands started sweating because I got so anxious about what was happening. But even with that, it had a weak base and poor pacing so I feel like I enjoyed it a lot more while watching it rather than talking about it.



Now I must mention spoilers, but I strongly advise you to not read them if you haven't seen Prometheus. Come back and read this section once you have seen it.





Spoilers below.


First of all... this movie was most definitely an Alien prequel. Don't let anyone fool you. It got to a point where I expected Sigourney Weaver to pop up somewhere. How do we know this? The movie ends with a Xenomorph emerging from one of the engineers (aka, the space jockeys). Granted it wasn't exactly identical to the Xenomorphs we are all used to seeing but it was damn close. Quite believable if someone was just saying it was the earliest form of it.

I also found a lot of the reveals to be predictable. The most predictable things? Weyland being on the ship and David being a villain. However, I feel like if we were to call David a villain that means Weyland was the main bad guy because David took his orders directly from Weyland. Without him David would have been lost with no direction from his creator. I also anticipated a Xenomorph appearing, which it did, but that was a given for me.

One thing I didn't like was the fact that Dr. Shaw was the last remaining human. When both Meredith Vickers and Dr. Shaw escaped Prometheus alive I was hoping that both of them would live. Instead we are left at the end with Dr. Shaw and David escaping the planet in one of the other engineer ships. I didn't like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment