The past seven days

Monday, August 11, 2014

Robin Williams passes away at 63

Actor and comedian Robin Williams has died at age 63. Authorities and his wife have confirmed his death as he was found dead at home around noon on Monday, August 11th. So far the word is that he died from asphyxiation of an apparent suicide.
Williams struggled with drug and alcohol addiction early in his career. He suffered from cocaine and alcohol addiction after his success on the television series, Mork and Mindy. He kicked his habit after being present on the night that fellow comedian John Belushi overdosed and died during a drug binge in 1982. Williams relapsed in 2006 and sought treatment to kick the habit once again and in July of this year he checked himself into a rehab facility once again for treatment from alcohol. Sources close to him have revealed he had been struggling with depression as of late.

His wife, Susan Schneider, released this statement:
“This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin’s family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin’s death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.”

My heart is just hurting right now. I don't recall a genuine tear coming to my eye with the death of a celebrity, but my eyes are misty right now. Robin Williams was my childhood. Films like Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, Jumanji, Aladdin, and so much more just defined life and what comedy was for me. Learning those voices as a way to make my family laugh will always sit with me and without this man I wouldn't have ever done it. We have lost a genie, a loveable bat, a man trapped in a board game, an obsessive photo developer, Peter Pan, and one of the funniest men to ever grace this Earth.
It saddens me whenever I see someone who brings such joy to so many others suffer inside and feel that they have no way out. I am sympathetic for his wife, his children, and his friends. Having it be this difficult for a fan to accept makes me realize how unbearable it must be for someone who knew him personally.

May you finally have peace, Mr. Williams. You made my life and the lives of so many others wonderful and full of laughter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment