The past seven days

Monday, July 22, 2013

Sacha Baron Cohen leaves Freddie Mercury biopic

Well, I can't say I'm unhappy about this one.

Sacha Baron Cohen has left the upcoming Freddie Mercury biopic over creative differences. If you don't know who Freddie Mercury is then I just feel sorry for you.




I'm just kidding. He is the late singer of the band Queen. Baron had been cast as Mercury quite a while ago and cited disagreements and creative differences with the living members of Queen as reason for his departure. Queen apparently wanted a family friendly, PG-rated film and Cohen wanted an R-rated raw look at Mercury's life. He had commissioned a script and had shopped it to directors like David Fincher and Tom Hooper. However, the band members never signed off on it.

Sony Pictures and GK Films is setting up this biopic but there is no telling where the project will go from here or who will replace Sacha Baron Cohen. If Queen wants a PG movie based off their late frontman I think they should just quit while they're ahead. Mercury did not really lead a PG-rated life. He struggled for privacy despite being openly gay and died of AIDS in 1991. I don't know how you can put a PG spin on that.
I say I am happy about this because although Cohen was a fairly decent choice to play Freddie Mercury, I don't think this should happen. Ever. I hope this departure leads to the project dying entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment