The past seven days

Saturday, July 27, 2013

[Random] My favorite Disneyland rides

Seeing that there is practically nothing else to talk about and so many Disney attractions are going the movie route, I figured I would share the current Disneyland attractions from my most to least favorite with #1 being the most. Bear in mind this list is limited to the rides I have been on and won't include any that I have never experienced. Good? Excellent. Here we go!

Disneyland:

1. Pirates of the Caribbean
2. Haunted Mansion (also Haunted Mansion Holiday)
3. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
4. Splash Mountain
5. Indiana Jones Adventure
6. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
7. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
8. Jungle Cruise
9. Star Tours (used to be higher on the list before the "new adventures" refurb)
10. Snow White's Scary Adventures
11. Pinocchio's Daring Journey
12. Space Mountain
13. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
14. Captain EO
15. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
16. Alice in Wonderland
17. Gadget's Go Coaster
18. Matterhorn Bobsleds (love the ride, but the new sleds are downright painful)
19. Peter Pan's Flight
20. Storybook Land Canal Boats
21. Sailing Ship Columbia / Mark Twain Riverboat
22. Dumbo the Flying Elephant
23. Enchanted Tiki Room
24. Casey Jr. Circus Train
25. Finding Nemo Submarines
26. Autopia
27. Innoventions (the Iron Man exhibit was pretty cool, though)
28. Tarzan's Treehouse
29. Mad Tea Party
30. It's a Small World

California Adventure:

1. Toy Story Midway Mania
2. Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue
3. The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure
4. Radiator Springs Racers
5. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
6. MuppetVision 3D
7. Turtle Talk with Crush
8. Goofy's Sky School
9. Grizzly River Run
10. Golden Zephyr
11. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
12. Luigi's Flying Tires
13. Soarin' Over California
14. Jumpin' Jellyfish

Rides I have never been on:

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
California Screamin'
King Triton's Carousel
It's Tough to be a Bug
Tuck and Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies
Flik's Flyers
Francis' Ladybug Boogie
Mickey's Fun Wheel (or as I call all ferris wheels, the wheel of death)
Silly Symphony Swings
Astro Orbitor
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer's Island
King Arthur Carrousel


As for the rides I have never been on, I'm not so good with heights and/or rollercoasters so that explains why I have never done Tower of Terror or California Screamin'. I would like to do Tower of Terror because the POV's I have seen on YouTube look awesome, but I am adult enough to admit the heights aspect and the sudden drops terrify me.



And as a bonus, because I am nice and will gladly give anyone Disneyland pointers, here is a list of some of the best food in the parks. Some of it is sit-down service but not all of it.

Disneyland:

1. Blue Bayou

This place pretty much requires a reservation (I always book 2 weeks ahead) and it is really expensive, but it is seriously delicious. The atmosphere is unbeatable, too. I mean, you are eating inside of Pirates of the Caribbean. And in all fairness you do get a decent amount of food for the price. You get bread, a choice of gumbo or salad, and an entree. Lunch is a bit cheaper than dinner but you don't have as many menu items to choose from. I ate here for the first time last year and I won't ever miss eating here at least once whenever I visit. I would advise anyone to book for lunch smack in the middle of your trip if you are staying multiple days. I usually stay for a 5-day pass so my lunch at Blue Bayou usually is on Wednesday. It's a nice middle of the week, sit-down treat.

2. Cafe Orleans

Yet another New Orleans Cafe spot that is absolutely delicious. This remains high on my list primarily because they have the best french onion soup I have ever eaten. You usually don't need a reservation and if you play your cards right you can get in and stay to watch Fantasmic and/or the nighttime fireworks show. You won't have the greatest view but you can still see. They are fairly inexpensive, too.

3. Corn Dogs

I am a big fan of corn dogs in general, but the ones at Disney are to die for. They are a pretty decent size and you get your choice of apple slices or chips to go along with for around $5 (without a drink). It's quick, filling, and available in both Disneyland and California Adventure.

4. Dole Whip Float

I'm almost impossible to describe the utter awesome that is a Dole Whip. It's worth the line. Trust me.

5. Cream Cheese Pretzel

I just had one of these earlier this year and I just about died. They are so damn good. Another treat that is pretty inexpensive, quick, and quite filling. These are also available in both parks.

6. Churros

Bottom line... delicious. Simple as that.

7. River Belle Terrace

This is an excellent place if you are looking for a spot to watch Fantasmic. The food isn't too expensive and is pretty good, but if you play it right you can get an outdoor table and watch the show from the restaurant. The CM's (aka, Cast Members) won't kick you out of the spot no matter how long you sit there because it isn't a table service restaurant. If you utilize the River Belle for Fantasmic, it's best to get there at least 90min prior to showtime and snag a table. 2 hours is best but you can usually stretch that extra half hour and still get a good spot. You can also see the fireworks from the River Belle.

California Adventure:

1. Pacific Wharf Cafe

Four words: soup in bread bowls. Not only are the sourdough bread bowls baked onsite, but the soup is so blasted delicious. I always get clam chowder but I have tried the other soups as well. You just can't go wrong with this place. The only downside is there is almost always a line (I've waited close to 30min before) and it can be real difficult to find a table outside. It all depends on what time of day you go. I have eaten my soup sitting on a bench around the corner because I couldn't find a table, but it's worth it.

2. Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill

I was skeptical about theme park Mexican food and I don't really like Mexican that much to begin with, but I was really impressed with Cocina Cucamonga. You get a very generous amount of food for the price. I got carne asada steak for $11.99 and I got a full steak, beans, rice, a chicken tamale, two soft tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, and salsa. It tasted really good, too. Next time I visit I am definitely eating here again. Similar to the Pacific Wharf Cafe, it can be difficult to find a table. They are located next to each other so the whole complex can be a bit difficult to navigate depending on the time of day.

3. Corn Dog Castle

Like I said about corn dogs before, they are just a great deal and are really good.

4. Award Wieners

This obviously depends on if you like hot dogs, but they are one of the best deals in the parks. This place has a couple kinds of hot dogs, like chili cheese, and you get the choice of apple slices or chips. It's inexpensive and good enough to keep you full for a while.

5. Paradise Garden Grill

I found this place by complete accident last year when I was searching for a shady spot to relax for a bit. Not only is this area of the park practically deserted, but they have Mediterranean food (which I love) that is really good. I got a steak skewer with rice and it tasted great. It wasn't too expensive either. When I ate there a small band was playing in a gazebo nearby and it was just relaxing. Very much recommended.

I have yet to try it, but if you want to splurge and spend a small fortune you could check out the new Carthay Circle restaurant inside California Adventure. I have heard it's delicious and has a great atmosphere. You can also get World of Color show packages where you get a meal and premiere viewing for the show. It will cost you, though. I looked into a similar deal for Fantasmic inside Disneyland and it was $60 a person.

And, of course, these aren't all the places I have eaten inside the parks. These are just my personal favorites and what I think are the best deals for what you get. Other ones that aren't terrible, but aren't great, are the Hungry Bear Restaurant, Tomorrowland Terrace, Taste Pilot's Grill, and Bengal Barbeque.




That does it for my take on the Happiest Place on Earth. You may not know this but it is probably my favorite spot. It's expensive as hell but I love it. I go whenever I have the chance. If you have never been give it a shot. I can help you with a lot of pointers and give great tips on how to get the most done during your trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment