The past seven days

Monday, February 10, 2014

The LEGO Movie - Review

After President Business vows to permanently super glue the LEGO universe together, an average construction worker named Emmet is recruited by a secret group of master builders to try and save their world in The LEGO Movie.


I will admit that I went into this movie excited for a couple reasons. First of all, Lego's are awesome. No question. Second off, the trailers were funny and the movie genuinely looked good. After seeing it I am happy to say that not only was the animation fantastic but the movie itself was also very fun. I haven't enjoyed a movie like this in a while.
Starting off with the premise, I thought making a movie about a Lego universe was very cool and like many others, I don't know what took them so long. The concept is just so open for interpretation and creativity. The plot itself had a nice message as well showing that without creativity we don't really have a future. Making a normal, average construction worker "the special" because he thought of things that didn't seem important to most but were cool to him was a nice touch.
Along with the plot being great, the animation rendered was so fantastic. I loved how everything was made of Lego's. If there was a fire it was out of Lego pieces. If there was smoke, it was made out of Lego pieces. Even liquids and the opening credits were Lego pieces. The characters maintained classic Lego form, but the voices and facial rendering gave them so much life.
Speaking of voices, I thought the voice cast was perfect. Morgan Freeman, Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, and Elizabeth Banks all killed it and they made the seemingly simple Lego figures really come to life. I applaud them for that. The characters themselves were absolutely hilarious, too. I thought Emmet was a very endearing character and extremely likeable. The police officer voiced by Liam Neeson was also great. I laughed a lot at him. 
One main thing that I loved about this movie was the absolute immersion of the Lego universe. There were Lego characters in this movie that I played with as a kid, like the 80's space guy and the basic construction workers. I think I even had pirate Lego's as a kid. They were all included and the way they wrapped them all together into the same universe was a lot of fun. Warner Bros. really did their research on this one and the end product was fantastic.

If you have little kids they will absolutely love The LEGO Movie. I saw it with my 10-year old nephew and we were both laughing throughout the entire movie. Aside from that, I think people of any age will enjoy this movie. Most of the people in my theater were adults with no children and everyone seemed to be having a good time. I never thought I would say this with such enthusiasm, but bring on a sequel. I am totally on board to see more Lego movies because I sure loved this one.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think this movie surpassed Monsters University and definitely crushed Frozen. This definitely should give Disney and Pixar something to think about because it was a lot better than the last couple offerings we've had. Now excuse me while I go sing "Everything is Awesome" around the house all week.


Oh, and there is a Star Wars cameo. Just saying =^D


No comments:

Post a Comment