The past seven days

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Dallas Buyers Club - Review

After being unexpectedly diagnosed with HIV, Ron Woodroof begins an underground drug business to expand the usage of non-FDA approved HIV/AIDS therapies among fellow sufferers. As a result, he begins facing legal opposition by the Food & Drug Administration and his own doctors in Dallas Buyers Club.

I went into Dallas Buyers Club with very minor information in terms of plot and characters, and I think that it was better that way. I loved the acting, loved the story, and I thought it was very well put together. Matthew McConaughey really was on point along with Jared Leto.
The character of Ron was really brought to life by McConaughey. The transformation he endures after his diagnosis was very present and well paced. It was believable and it showed that this rugged, cowboy had a side that wanted people to be as successful as he was. Jared Leto took the show with the character of Rayon, though. He was loveable, positive, and you just felt connected to him immediately. I don't know why it was but I was pulled in very quickly. I haven't seen Leto nail a role right on the head since Requiem for a Dream. After seeing this movie it fully solidifies my prediction that both Jared Leto and Matthew McConaughey should, and probably will, win Oscars for this film. I am somewhat surprised no one gave Jennifer Garner a Best Supporting Actress nod. Just putting that out there.
As far as the plot goes, like I said it was very well put together. I never once felt that it was rushed or too slow. I haven't read up on the real events with Ron Woodroof so I can't really comment on how accurate it was. I do recall hearing the character of Rayon is fictional, so who knows what else might be.

I think, as disturbing as it may be, they portrayed the time very well. It was a scary and desperate time for both physicians and citizens when the AIDS crisis hit. People who had it didn't have much hope other than drug trials and the doctors and pharmaceutical companies didn't know what else to do but use the patients as guinea pigs and tell them that was their only option. Ron just took a step back and figured if he could find another way to help himself and others with the same disease he would fight to give people that option. I thought it was very well done.
As far as Oscar predictions go, I think this could be a dark horse and might just sweep the major categories. I don't know if it has the street cred to beat out Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, or American Hustle for best picture, but it might. I am also banking on Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto winning in their categories. Easily.


No comments:

Post a Comment