The past seven days

Friday, January 18, 2013

Looper - Review

Looper fast forwards us to the year 2074 where the mob uses time travel to transport people 30 years into the past where they are killed by specialized hit men called Loopers. A Looper named Joe gets more than he bargained for when his scheduled loop is the future version of himself.


I know I'm a little late to the party when it comes to Looper because I just now watched it, but I do have to say that I really enjoyed it. I thought the story was interesting and fresh and the acting was also really good. I also thought they did a pretty good job with making Joseph Gordon-Levitt look like a believable young Bruce Willis. It wasn't spot on, obviously, but it was pretty damn good.
I thought the writing was great and the dialogue was awesome. It was serious enough to keep you interested and curious, but there was also a decent mix of humor in there to keep you from getting too into it and feeling like your brain is turning into scrambled eggs.

I did like the idea of time travel being invented and then immediately outlawed. It's almost like there is a glimpse of hope that our future people would realize when too much power is too much. However, I was a little disappointed with how it wasn't really gone in depth. They didn't describe when it was invented or what exactly caused it to become illegal. A minor gripe but it is there.
I also was a bit confused with what exactly the drug was Joseph Gordon-Levitt (aka, Joe) was using. It was referred to as "dropping" but again, they never explained exactly what it was. Was it a form of cocaine or heroin or was it a brand new drug that was created between now and the year 2044?
One thing I did like is the fact that they didn't make the future too much of... the future. Like, there wasn't a lot of futuristic feeling in the sense of you felt like you were in an episode of The Jetsons, but at the same time it gives you enough to believe you are in the year 2044. There were hover bikes and futuristic cell phones and stuff.

I don't want to ruin anything even though I am pretty sure most people have seen Looper already, but I am going to stop before I get too into the movie. If I do this review will be super long and I don't want that. I will say I did like Looper. It was very well played out and I also will say Joseph Gordon-Levitt did a great job. I was also surprised with Emily Blunt.
I recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment