The past seven days

Friday, July 6, 2012

Disney developing Hocus Pocus 2?

Moviehole has made the statement saying that Disney is in the development stage of a sequel to the popular 1993 Halloween film, Hocus Pocus. The rumored title is Hocus Pocus 2: Rise of the Elderwitch.

Now... if you have never seen Hocus Pocus the basic plot is this; 300 year old witches (Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy, and Sarah Jessica Parker) return to the town of Salem under their own spell after a teenage boy (Omri Katz), his classmate (Vinessa Shaw), and little sister (Thora Birch) light a candle bringing them back to life for Halloween night. It is a kids movie, but it is truly a great movie. It is one of my favorite films from when I was a kid. It's one of those movies you watch as you get older and realize how adult the humor really was.
However, I am a bit confused on why make a sequel almost 20 years after the first movie was made. The actors have all moved on and aged significantly so unless they introduce all new characters or use one of the former kid actors as current parents or something it could be really lame. I also bet it will be one of Disney's many Direct-to-DVD features. Either that or it will air on The Disney Channel if that channel even exists anymore.

wtf.

1 comment:

  1. Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy and Sarah Jessica Parker work perfectly together as the Sanderson Sisters and I don’t think it would be the same without them if there were a sequel. I’m just going to stick to the original that I know and love. One of my DISH coworkers suggested Hocus Pocus now that Halloween is right around the corner, so I added it to my Blockbuster @Home queue. While I’m out shopping for candy and the kids’ costumes, it should be on its way to our house. If Disney is able to pull it out of their Mickey Mouse wizard hat, I may take a look at it though.

    ReplyDelete