The past seven days

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Nine Inch Nails' Hesitation Marks streams for free on iTunes

The new studio album from Nine Inch Nails titled Hesitation Marks officially drops next week on September 3rd, but it was put up for free streaming via iTunes last night as a sneak preview. I'm sure because of it the album has leaked online but that isn't important. I listened to Hesitation Marks last night because I am an impatient fangirl and although I wouldn't say it is a bad album I definitely wouldn't say it is a favorite.

I am a major Nine Inch Nails fan and have been listening to them for many years. I haven't encountered a time when I didn't really like something that Trent Reznor gave us so I am a bit lost right now. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of With Teeth but even then I didn't feel the way I do now. I think the album started off strong with the tracks "Copy of A" and "Came Back Haunted," but after those it just morphed into what felt like one giant, 50min song. It all sounded very similar and was dull and quite boring. Ordinarily I would have been bobbing my head to a beat but I only found myself doing that when "Satellite" was playing.
Yes I have to admit... I only liked three songs, maybe four. The saddest thing for me is two of those I have been listening to for a while now because Trent released "Came Back Haunted" and "Copy of A" early. The majority of the songs were just a dull roar for me. It sounded like Trent was still in movie mode and created another score only this time he decided to put words to each song. It felt very forced.
Now with all that said, I wouldn't call this a bad album. It is identifiable and you can tell it is Nine Inch Nails. I just feel like Trent was trying to mix all of his sound from the past 20+ years instead of trying to move to a new area like he continuously has done with each album release. When you look at the musical evolution of Nine Inch Nails it is rather incredible and noticeable. With Hesitation Marks it's like he sat down and was like, let me just mix everything and see what happens. It should have worked but I don't think it quite got there.
I'm not saying I don't want to own this album because I will, but I would put Hesitation Marks on the same level of The Slip and With Teeth (to some extent). It has a few good songs but it isn't an album I would listen to straight through more than I had to.


It's alright. I still love you, Nine Inch Nails. See you in November.









#NIN2013 #HesitationMarks

No comments:

Post a Comment