The past seven days

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Worst Films of 2014

It's that time again, boys and girls. I will start by admitting I didn't see as many movies this year as I usually do and not nearly as many as I would have liked to, but I did see enough to make a "best" and "worst" list. As always I will start with the worst. There are always people who disagree with me and think I'm nuts, but that is the fun of doing these lists. It's interesting to see how people justify thinking these movies were great.

Also note these are not in any particular order from best to worst or anything like that. If they are in any sort of order it's just in the order of when I watched them. I also will mention that some of these films were technically made in and/or received limited releases in 2013, but if they got a wide release in 2014 I'm counting them.


Maleficent

Despite beautiful cinematography and visual effects, Disney basically murdered the best classic villain they have. The origin did not work, there was a serious lack of dragons, and the story just didn't work. Sorry.



Transformers: Age of Extinction

Ugh, don't even get me started. Just another special effects poop from Michael Bay.



Transcendence

Lacking story, bad acting, plot holes, and an overall lack of reality. Sorry, Johnny Depp. You were kind of on my shit list this year.



Lucy

This movie wasn't horrible, but it moved way too fast and similar to Transcendence, it just had a lack of reality. It was very hard to believe this woman had all of these abilities in the short amount of time shown. I usually don't say this, but the movie needed to be longer by a good 30-45min.



If I Stay

Horrible. Just horrible. The concept is great and the book wasn't bad, but the acting slayed this one. I'm a fan of Chloe Moretz, but she is getting worse as she ages and it's not working for her. The lack of chemistry between her and her male counterpart was almost painful to watch and the charm it should have had was not there. Big disappointment.



Nymphomaniac: Volume 1

No comment. It was just horrible.



Nymphomaniac: Volume 2

Ditto.



The Quiet Ones

Lack of originality, predictable twist, and flat acting. Another one that could have been good but it just wasn't.



The Fault in Our Stars

I didn't quite understand why everyone loved this movie so much. Yes, it's a sympathetic tale of two young kids with cancer who fall in love, but that's really all it is. When it was over I didn't feel like my life had changed or that I had learned some major lesson. It was just sad and not really that impressive. I felt that Shailene Woodley was just doing what she does best and playing an angsty teenager. If she does manage to get an Oscar nod for this movie I will be in shock.



Neighbors

I did laugh but it tried way too hard to be funny. That and there was just a bit too much dick. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate penis but not at this level... and not when Seth Rogen is near the thought.



Oculus

It was a good premise, but it didn't really hold enough to be a full film. Karen Gillan is awesome but her character was a bit too crazy and it made you wonder how she didn't wind up in a mental ward long before her brother got out of one. It tried too hard to be creepy and to mindfuck you and that was its downfall.



The Purge: Anarchy

I don't know what I expected seeing that The Purge was a huge crock of shit, but Anarchy wasn't much better. It was an improvement and I did appreciate them actually showing the night but it still was just meh. Better than the first one but not something I would watch again.




I might still add to this list because I still have a couple movies I am trying to cram in before the year is up, so keep an eye out. Hope you enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment