The past seven days

Monday, February 28, 2011

Usually takes me a while

After having a night to absorb the Academy Awards I am still stuck on a couple things. Makes me realize what a true dork I am, but who really gives a rats ass?

I am SO happy Natalie Portman won. I watched her acceptance speech again on YouTube and I just smile the whole time. I have always been a fan of hers ever since I was a kid. She looked absolutely beautiful, too. I think this was the best awards look she has had so far. I am honestly thinking the award she received last night counts for previous projects, too. Like I said in my last post I am specifically referencing V for Vendetta and Garden State. Those are two movies that should have at least earned her Golden Globe or Academy Award nominations. If she received a Globe nomination for Anywhere but Here, which is another movie I love, then she could have gotten one for those two.
The first time I saw Garden State her character annoyed the piss out of me but at the same time I loved her. She was so genuine and it related back to the audience in a fantastic way. After watching it multiple times her character grew on me so quickly. "What do you do? You laugh. I'm not saying I don't cry, but in between I laugh and I realize how silly it is to take anything too seriously. Plus I look forward to a good cry. Feels pretty good." That movie seriously got screwed over on recognition. It is such a great film. Not really a fan of Zach Braff but he proved something with that one.
V for Vendetta is just on a whole other level. The concept of that movie was amazing let alone the acting. Hugo Weaving should have been nominated for something as well as Natalie Portman. The fact that she went the mile to shave her head just proves how dedicated she allows herself to be. She brought herself down to a skeleton for Black Swan and brought herself to a sickly looking prisoner with no hair in V for Vendetta. She is just amazing.

One thing I forgot to talk about was the fact that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross brought home the gold man for Best Original Score. I was beside myself with my heart fluttering away whenever I saw Trent on screen. As much as I didn't like The Social Network those two did give it an amazing score. I honestly think even if I wasn't a Nine Inch Nails fan that I would be thinking the same thing. I was just as happy when they won the Golden Globe.


Anyway... I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. I'll end with yet another great quote from Garden State; "If you can't laugh at yourself life is going to seem a whole lot longer than you'd like."

No comments:

Post a Comment