The past seven days

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Excision - Review

Excision tells the story of an off-beat teenage girl who has aspirations of becoming a surgeon. She is, however, plagued with delusional fantasies and the overwhelming desire to impress her parents and to save her younger sister who suffers from Cystic Fibrosis.


Let me just start off by saying the advertising for this movie is incredibly misleading. It is practically nothing like what the trailer made it out to look like. I saw the trailer and got excited because it looked like a legitimate horror film and that seems difficult to come by these days. I also saw Bloody-Disgusting had covered it a bit so I decided to get it from Netflix and give it a shot.

Now with that out of the way, Excision wasn't necessarily bad for what it was worth. It is visually driven more than anything else and I can appreciate that. It had a lot of dark humor, which I find funny, so that was a plus. I just feel like it was off with the pacing. It seriously was like a play in the sense that it felt like you were going from one act to another and each act was completely different. First you have Pauline (AnnaLynne McCord) wanting to have sex, then you have her fighting with girls at school, then you have her clashing with mom, and then the resolution of her medical aspirations. It was almost like Pauline's character had no beginning. This is also where the advertising is misleading. The trailer, or at least the first trailer I saw, leads you to think Pauline is the sick teenager who is trying to do things before she dies when in reality it is her younger sister Grace who is sick. Pauline is perfectly healthy. She is just a self proclaimed Borderline Personality who has weird, graphic delusions about medical procedures.
I must also say the ending was incredibly rushed. It builds you up and just completely shuts it down. When the credits started I was a little pissed.


I guess I just expected something different than what I got. It's really difficult to describe what I just watched. Would I recommend it? Um... maybe. It kind of depends on what you're into. I don't really know what to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment